Root canal therapy - the main component of endodontic dentistry section dealing with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the dental pulp (the soft tissue formation, located inside the tooth).
Pulp - the soft tissue containing nerves, arteries, veins, lymph vessels of a tooth.
The pulp contained in the pulp chamber in the crown of the tooth (tooth part projecting above the gum) and root canals of the tooth, the dentin surrounded - kostepodobnoy tissue supporting enamel.
The main causes of disease and destruction of pulp:
- penetration of bacteria from a deep cavity;
- traumatic tooth, poor circulation, nerve damage;
- bacterial effect through a crack in a tooth;
- gum disease (periodontal disease).
Tooth pulp inflammation irritates the nerve that causes pain - sometimes weak sometimes very strong.
Endodontic treatment may include:
- removal of the pulp;
- clean the pulp chamber and root canals;
- forming channels;
- canal filling.